White Collar Criminal Defense & Government Investigations
Corporations and their executives face constant challenges, particularly in this age of economic turbulence and increased regulatory scrutiny. Not the least of these challenges are government investigations into allegations of regulatory violations and/or alleged criminal misconduct. Chiesa Shahinian & Giantomasi’s White Collar Criminal Defense & Government Investigations Group brings together an experienced group of trial attorneys and former prosecutors who know how to evaluate criminal cases and provide clients with aggressive, practical and creative solutions tailored to address the difficult circumstances presented by criminal investigations and prosecutions. Collectively, the lawyers who comprise the firm’s White Collar Criminal Defense & Government Investigations group have been involved in hundreds of government investigations on both the defense and prosecution side.
WHITE COLLAR CRIMINAL DEFENSE
The group consists almost entirely of former prosecutors. The perspectives gained by the members of the group as former federal and state prosecutors, combined with our extensive investigative and trial experience, give us a unique advantage in communicating with the government and obtaining results on behalf of our clients. Our attorneys have prosecuted and tried significant cases in both federal and state court, handling a myriad of white collar criminal matters. Positions our White Collar Criminal Defense & Government Investigations attorneys have held include:
- U.S. Senator, New Jersey
- Attorney General, New Jersey
- Chief Counsel, Office of the Governor of New Jersey
- Executive Assistant U.S. Attorney, District of New Jersey
- Assistant U.S. Attorney, District of New Jersey (Appeals, Criminal, Fraud, Special Prosecution, Criminal Divisions; General Crime Unit)
- Assistant U.S. Attorney, Eastern District of New York
- Assistant Prosecutor, Essex County, New Jersey
- Assistant Prosecutor, Hudson County, New Jersey
Chiesa Shahinian & Giantomasi clients benefit not only from the depth of our attorneys’ experience in the public sector, but in our integrated approach to resolving each matter. Our attorneys often work with colleagues in various departments of the firm with specialized and relevant industry knowledge, tailoring our advice based on the circumstances and the client’s unique needs.
The advice that our team provides is not limited to situations in which individuals or entities have already been charged with a criminal offense. We are intimately familiar with the investigatory processes employed by law enforcement agencies and are well-prepared and experienced in representing clients during federal and state grand jury investigations. We are adept at evaluating ongoing investigations and providing advice designed to protect our clients’ interests as those investigations proceed. We also work proactively to ensure such issues do not arise. Chiesa Shahinian & Giantomasi attorneys evaluate compliance issues and conduct internal investigations for corporations and other entities, including the investigation and evaluation of all underlying circumstances and allegations, in order to identify, anticipate and develop strategies for dealing with any civil or criminal liability that could potentially arise. We stand ready not only to provide advice regarding compliance issues and solutions on a proactive basis but are well-suited and prepared to provide counsel in connection with any resulting investigations or in any litigation that may ensue.
- Matthew E. Beck
- Jeffrey S. Chiesa
- Jenny Chung
- Danielle M. Corcione
- Shirley U. Emehelu
- Francis M. Giantomasi
- Brigitte M. Gladis
- James R. Hearon
- Scott C. Hollander
- Ilana Levin
- Othiamba N. Lovelace
- Marie L. Mathews
- Brian P. O'Neill
- A. Ross Pearlson
- Erik Sandstedt
- Mauro G. Tucci Jr.
- Lee Vartan
- Melissa F. Wernick
- ABA Litigation Journal: Five Tips for Helping Your Client Navigate the Federal Grand Jury Process
- Corporate Counsel Business Journal: Follow the Money? In Forensic Investigations, Follow the Data First
- Law360: Chiesa Shahinian Adds Ex-Pharma Counsel, Prosecutor In NJ
- Daily Record: Governor Pardons Ex-Mount Olive Officer Who Released Confidential Data
- Westlaw Journal White-Collar Crime: The Contours of Insider Trading Liability: Will Salman Overturn Newman?
- Shirley U. Emehelu, Former Chief of Asset Recovery and Anti-Money Laundering for the District of New Jersey, Joins CSG
- 30 CSG Attorneys Named to Best Lawyers in America 2020
- CSG Achieves High Rankings in 2019 Chambers USA
- Danielle Corcione Recognized by the New Jersey Law Journal with 2019 New Leaders of the Bar Award
- 25 CSG Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in 2019 New Jersey "Super Lawyers" and "Rising Stars"
- CSG Welcomes Fortune 50 Pharma Vet, Former Federal Prosecutor Erik Sandstedt to Litigation Group
- CSG Announces Four Attorney Promotions
- CSG Obtains Dismissal of Charges Against Client, Alon Feldman
- 27 CSG Attorneys Named to Best Lawyers in America 2019
- CSG Hosts Launch of New Jersey Chapter of the Women's White Collar Defense Association
- Danielle Corcione, Former Assistant U.S. Attorney, Joins CSG's White Collar Practice
- CSG Achieves High Rankings in 2018 Chambers USA
- 33 CSG Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in 2018 New Jersey "Super Lawyers" and "Rising Stars"
- Client Establishes Scholarship in Appreciation of CSG Attorney Matthew Beck
- CSG Bolsters White Collar Practice, Welcomes Lee Vartan as Member
- Jeffrey S. Chiesa to be honored with the Seton Hall University Law School's Saint Thomas More Medal
- Chiesa Shahinian & Giantomasi Achieves High Rankings in 2017 Chambers USA
- Jeffrey S. Chiesa was honored with the Essex County Bar Association's Samuel S. Saiber Professional Achievement Award
- 36 CSG Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in 2017 New Jersey "Super Lawyers" and "Rising Stars"
- 32 CSG Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in 2016 New Jersey "Super Lawyers" and "Rising Stars"
- Chiesa Shahinian & Giantomasi PC Announces Five Attorney Promotions
- Matthew Beck Featured on CNBC's American Greed
- Wolff & Samson Welcomes Former Assistant U.S. Attorney Matt Beck to the Firm
- Pearlson Joins Wolff & Samson as Co-Chair of Litigation Group
- 5/15/2018: Daytop New Jersey Opioid Epidemic Summit
- 11/16/2017: NJAJ Criminal Law - Meadowlands Seminar 2017
- 9/7/2017: Lawline Webinar Ethics and the Criminal Law Attorney
- Ethics Presentation for In-House Counsel: Part Four of A Complimentary CLE Series
- In-House Attorney-Client Privilege and Disclosure Issues: Part Two of a Four-Part Complimentary CLE Series
- RPCs and the In-House Attorney: Part One of a Four-Part Complimentary CLE Series