Banking & Finance
Financial institutions and their boards of directors and senior management are faced with an increasingly complex legal and regulatory landscape that poses significant risks of civil, criminal and reputational harm – all the while, still having to manage day-to-day operational responsibilities and client expectations.
Clients turn to CSG for comprehensive, solutions-oriented counsel on everything from anti-money laundering, Bank Secrecy Act and economic sanctions compliance to financing lending transactions and litigating commercial disputes.
With a team comprised of former federal prosecutors, former banking executives and longtime finance attorneys, CSG’s multidisciplinary Banking & Finance Group is uniquely positioned to assist financial institutions across a broad spectrum of areas:
Our Group advises money center banks, institutional lenders, private banks and lenders, as well as regional and foreign-based banks and lenders across a broad array of financing transaction types involving a diversity of asset classes. Spearheaded by a regularly recognized Super Lawyer – New York Metro Rising Star – a designation awarded to only 2.5% of New York’s attorneys, our Group brings a deep understanding of both the legal implications and business impact of how loans are structured and documented, and take pride in helping our clients efficiently navigate these complex issues – offering innovative legal solutions addressing the full range of financing structures.
In that regard, we regularly represent our banking and finance clientele in connection with:
- Real estate financings, including acquisition, construction, bridge, and mezzanine (both syndicated and direct facilities).
- Asset-based financings (syndicated and direct facilities).
- Letters of credit and banker’s acceptance transactions.
- Distressed debt financing, including the purchase and sale of loans, individually and in bulk
- Wealth lending, including the financing of objets d’art, maritime and life insurance premium financing.
Creditors’ Rights, Workouts and Commercial Litigation
Our Group is familiar with all aspects of distressed debt and frequently represent national, international and captive equipment leasing companies, commercial banks and alternative lending financial institutions in mortgage, mezzanine and asset based loan foreclosures and enforcement actions, as well as workouts and restructurings of secured loans and credit facilities across a spectrum of asset classes, from real estate secured to asset based loans secured under Article 9 of the Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) and equipment leases under Article 2A of the UCC. While our attorneys strive to keep clients out of the courtroom and seek to resolve disputes through pre-litigation negotiation, strategic planning and proactive counseling, our deep bench of experienced litigators are prepared to aggressively represent client interests through trial and in any related bankruptcy proceedings.
The Group’s capabilities further extend into:
- Debtor-in-possession financing
- Lender liability claims and other disputes
- Loan workouts and debt restructurings
- Secured creditor claims
- UCC Article 9 secured party transactions
- UCC Article 2A finance leases
Financial Crimes & Bank Regulatory Compliance
Co-led by the former Chief of Asset Forfeiture and Anti-Money Laundering for the U.S. Attorney’s Office for District of New Jersey and drawing upon the entire Group’s demonstrated expertise and extensive private and public sector experience, our Banking & Finance Group is readily prepared to represent financial institutions, boards of directors and senior management in regulatory, civil and criminal matters involving U.S. anti-money laundering (AML), Bank Secrecy Act (BSA) and economic sanctions laws, including those administered by the U.S. Department of the Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN) and other federal and state regulators, and is uniquely capable of effectively interfacing with state and federal law enforcement to mitigate risk, maximize leverage and identify strategies to alleviate reputational harm.
As part of our practice, we frequently assist our clients in the development and implementation of compliance programs, conduct internal investigations, defend their interests in criminal and civil enforcement actions, and recommend remedial measures necessary to protect the substantial interests of our clients.
Our Banking & Finance Group also calls upon our firm’s collective insight in the following areas to provide seamless, comprehensive and results-oriented client service:
- Real Estate, Development & Land Use
- Land Use and Zoning
- Government Investigations
- Labor and Employment
- Privacy & Data Security
- Corporate & Securities
- Equipment Leasing & Asset Based Lending
- Trusts & Estates
- Public Finance
- Matthew E. Beck
- Mitchell S. Berkey
- Shirley U. Emehelu
- Francis J. Giantomasi
- Gemma M. Giantomasi
- Robert L. Hornby
- Rosh H. Jaffe
- Steven A. Loeb
- Samuel Newbold
- Frank Peretore
- Jennifer M. Porter
- Jill Daitch Rosenberg
- Erik Sandstedt
- Daniel A. Schwartz
- Laurence M. Smith
- Edward B. Stevenson
- Dennis M. Toft
- Lee Vartan
- Two CSG Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in 2019 New York "Super Lawyers - Rising Stars"
- Shirley U. Emehelu, Former Chief of Asset Recovery and Anti-Money Laundering for the District of New Jersey, Joins CSG
- 30 CSG Attorneys Named to Best Lawyers in America 2020
- CSG Recognized in 2019 Best Law Firm Rankings
- CSG Grows New York City Practice with Addition of Real Estate Finance Attorney Rosh H. Jaffe
- 27 CSG Attorneys Named to Best Lawyers in America 2019
- Daniel A. Schwartz Selected as NJBIZ Icon Honors Award Recipient
- CSG Recognized in 2018 Best Law Firm Rankings
- 26 CSG Attorneys Named to Best Lawyers in America 2018
- CSG Recognized in 2017 Best Law Firm Rankings
- CSG Employees Support Prevent Child Abuse - New Jersey
- Chiesa Shahinian & Giantomasi Recognized in 2016 Best Law Firm Rankings
- 25 Wolff & Samson Attorneys Named to Best Lawyers in America 2015
- Wolff & Samson Recognized in 2014 Best Law Firms Rankings
- Twenty-six Attorneys from Wolff & Samson Named to Best Lawyers in America
- Twenty-seven Wolff & Samson Attorneys Named to Best Lawyers in America
- Twenty-five Attorneys from Wolff & Samson Named to Best Lawyers in America
- Wolff & Samson Recognized in Inaugural 2010 Best Law Firms Rankings
- Wolff & Samson Attorneys Named to "Best Lawyers in America"