Steven Katz is a seasoned trial lawyer who is experienced in handling a wide variety of complex commercial cases. He focuses on representing engineers, architects, construction management professionals and their insurers, construction contractors, project owners, and sureties. Steven’s litigation and trial experience includes large, complex lawsuits in state and federal courts. He also arbitrates and mediates matters around the country.
Steve distills complex fact patterns and persuasively presents his client’s position to mediators, arbitrators, judges and juries. His thematic approach serves to simplify and streamline the litigation process, which results in a more efficient and effective avenue to dispute resolution.
Steve’s experience includes representing insurance companies in coverage disputes and the administration of multi-line policies. He also represents product manufacturers in cases involving chemical and asbestos injuries, environmental contamination and building product liability.
Steve also spends considerable time advising clients outside of litigation regarding contract formation, regulatory issues, risk management and litigation avoidance.
- The State University of New York at Buffalo Law School (J.D., 1987)
- Brandeis University (B.A., 1983)
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, Northern and Southern Districts of New York
- Representation of an excavation support system contractor in a federal court litigation involving an $8 million claim arising from the construction of the Flushing Bay Combined Sewer Overflow Retention Facility in New York
- Representation of an electrical subcontractor in an arbitration involving over $9 million in claims arising from construction of the Elkton Federal Prison in Ohio
- Representation of the surety under a $36 million performance bond in the completion of a multi-story residential apartment building located in New York, N.Y.
- Representation of a surety in connection with a $50 million performance bond litigation
- Representation of EIFS manufacturers on both commercial and residential construction projects
- Representation of a pump manufacturer in nationwide asbestos litigations
- Representation of reinsurers in connection with Enron Corporation gas and oil lease claims
- American Bar Association
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association